Thursday, February 10, 2011

Great relief for Red Hand Syndrome

Red Hand Syndrome? Yeah, it is crazy dry skin and red hands and feet brought about from chemo. Hands and feet have lots of little capillaries and apparently the chemo drugs can accumulate in these areas. One drug in particular, Xeloda, creates some really red hands and feet. My doctor said that her cancer patients could always spot another Xeloda patient because of their hands.

Treatment using Xeloda has matured a bit. People no longer suffer horribly from this. They have found that lower doses of Xeloda are just as effective as high doses. You have to juggle around with treatment regimens until it is 'Just right". And that means, you start off with a high dose based on your height and weight. Then gradually decrease until the side effects are more tolerable.

When I first started Xeloda my hands and feet looked sunburned. And then I got a sunburn on the rest of my body so it all blended together. Ha, ha. But then as time went on, my hands and feet hurt less until it was something I could live with.

One item that has made it much easier to deal with is Petro-Carbo by JR Watkins. This stuff is unbelievable. And I have tried just about everything. One of the nurses finally gave this to me when I was complaining about just how cracked my hands and feet were. I'm not one to endorse products or anything, I see this more as a public service announcement. As we are in the middle of winter right now, my hands can seriously not take one more handwashing. But the Petro-Carbo Salve helps so much. I normally put it on and then put either socks over my hands, or a pair of gloves. I put it on thick. By putting it on thick, it feels a bit gross on your hands.

I also put this on my feet. I have never had cracked or dry heels, but thanks to Xeloda I do now. This stuff does wonders on them as well. My mother bought me some cute little socks that were gel inside. You were suppose to put lotion on and then put the socks on over top. I use these socks with the Petro-Carbo, and go to sleep. It keeps my feet from drying out.

I do have to warn you, this stuff does have a distinct odor. It isn't horrible. It just sort of smells rustic. Like something your grandparents would use. According to the package it has been around since 1868, so, I suppose that is about right.

If you try this out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment