Monday, January 10, 2011

An introduction.... Again.

I would first like to introduce all of you to my story.  I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer in September of 2001. Yes, a month and year that was horrible for many.  Not only did monumental buildings fall that September along with our feelings of safety and security, but my own private world toppled as well.  I found that I had breast cancer in my right breast.  I was only 24 years old, had just celebrated my second wedding anniversary and was in a job that had me running full tilt.  Babies were next in my future, not cancer.
Over the next few years I was the poster child for Herceptin. A new drug at the time to treat the dreaded Her2Neu version of breast cancer.  Aggressive and hard to treat, a Her2Neu diagnosis is NOT what you want to hear.  I responded well to cutting edge treatment, now a standard in treating this particular type of cancer.  Part of my story is included in a Lifetime Television documentary "Fighting for our Future."  This documented the unique struggle that young women have with breast cancer.  And at the time, it was quite unknown that young women can and do get breast cancer.  There is also a book with the same title that I highly recommend for anyone diagnosed with breast cancer.  Both the documentary and the book cover several women with different stories.
Unfortunately, my story with cancer continues.  I went all the way to 2009 - cancer free.  By all accounts, I should not have had a recurrence.  I had passed all the milestones.  I had a great appointment with my doctor, Dr. Miller, in October 2008.  We discussed children, we both have boys around the same age.  Everything looked great. When she went to leave the room and turned and said - "This is the way it is suppose to go." Two months later I felt a lump and knew exactly what it was.  It was just before Christmas.  I didn't tell anyone.  Why ruin a perfectly fine Christmas when I knew we had a hard battle in front of us.  Right after Christmas I went in to the doctor and had a needle biopsy.
My phone rang the next day.  I didn't even need to look at the number.  I knew who it was and what they were going to say.  I immediately got up in the middle of a meeting and left.  I tried to find my friend while I was on the phone talking to the doctor who performed the procedure.
I'll skip the details for now.  I'll save the rest for another post. But suffice to say - I am on track with another cutting edge treatment and I am hoping for the best.  Part of my therapy and dealing with this disease is to talk about it.  I want to let other's know that they are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment